Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What a guy!

On one of my email groups, the ladies have been complaining about their husbands' picky eating habits. One woman said her husband won't eat eggs, pasta, anything with sauce of ANY kind...another won't eat a meal unless it has a substantial amount of meat...another won't eat any vegetable other than corn and peas. Not even spaghetti sauce -- because tomatoes are vegetables.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Well, if nothing else this has made me very, very thankful for my husband! I've been slowly converting to vegetarianism and he has been more than supportive of my efforts. He's eaten every weird bean/tofu/noodle dish I've put before him, he's really encouraging the kids to try new things, and he really believes that the health benefits outweigh the temporary strangeness of our new menus. Don't get me wrong -- he'll still choose a Quarter Pounder over a salad at IckDonalds any day! But he's really adventurous and not the least bit picky (ok, so he's not crazy about asparagus, but he eats a Thank-You Bite just like the kids do!), and he's really cool about it. I think the best thing is that at the table, he's always very appreciative of anything I make. After supper he might pull me aside and give me a gentle "that can go to the back of the recipe box" comment, but in front of the kids he'll try anything and be really enthusiastic and grateful about it. He always says our grace and ends with "please bless the hands that have prepared this food for us" (mine!) and that makes me feel really appreciated, too. All in all, I just feel very blessed.

I would go NUTS with some of these women's husbands!

...No, not really. They'd just be very, very hungry at my house.

No comments: